Marketing definitely isn't one of my strong points, nor is confidence, so I need to work on both of these. I am busy trying to get some links to my sites from other sites to try and get some traffic to my site but money is pretty slim as I am a full time mummy so I can't afford to pay for advertising at the moment. Its so difficult starting up a business, having money for stock and advertising which is essential to have before you start bringing in the money.
On the advertising side of things there are some basic things you can do which cost little or nothing other than a bit of time.
1. A business card and flyer . . or several . . go out with every order - whether they are web generated or not!
2. Set up a Google Base account and upload your products to Google Base (was Froogle) so that they are searchable online.
3. Make sure that you have set up your meta keywords and descrition phrases on your web site properly so that search engines can find you.
4. Tell Google that you have a web site by creating a Google Site Maps account and regularly "Ping" Google to tell them that your site has been updated so they can crawl the site.
5. As with 4 above . . but for Yahoo and for MSN!
6. Create a business blog and keep it updated regularly with new products news etc.
7. Set up a Google Analytics account for the web site and regularly monitor traffic to the site and adjust your site depending on results.
8. Set up a business Twitter and Facebook account and regularly update
9. Design new pieces and tutorials to go with them and submit to ALL the jewellery making and crafts mags regularly.
10. Submit your web site details to some of the online business directories.
Hope this helps . . though it can take a month of Sundays to get all this set up
. . but once it is set up it becomes a regular routine to keep on top of and takes very little time at all